Community & Economic Development

Code Enforcement

The Forsyth County Board of Commissioners established a Minimum Housing Code, as part of the County’s mission to create a safe and healthy community. The standards set forth in the code are focused on ensuring that dwellings in the County are safe and fit for human habitation.

The Community & Economic Development department is responsible for enforcing the code in the County, outside the municipal limits of the City of Winston-Salem and Town of Kernersville. Department staff investigate complaints and work with property owners and tenants to bring structures into compliance to make sure that everyone has a safe & healthy place to call home.

Side of ages and worn abandoned house

Homes Not Up to Code?

File a Minimum Housing Code complaint in Forsyth County

Can Forsyth County assist with your complaint?

Forsyth County can assist with


Abandoned homes


Tall grass/ overgrown shrubbery


Dilapidated structures

Forsyth County cannot assist with


Business run out of residential properties


Trash complaints


Occupied tent/camper complaints

Contacts for Zoning /Code Enforcement If We Cannot Advise:

City of Winston-Salem
City Link Phone: 336-727-8000
City of Kernersville
Environmental Assistance and
Protection Department

Image Description

Anthony Davis

Code Enforcement Officer

Fair Housing Statment

Forsyth County does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, familial status, physical handicap or disability in its employment opportunities, programs, services or activities.

Learn More

Community & Economic Development

  • 201 North Chestnut Street
    Fifth Floor
    Winston-Salem, NC 27101
  • Phone: 336 703 2684
  • Fax: 336 727 8580
  • Email: Contact Us